Saturday, September 3, 2016

Flashman (Five Stars)



An interesting book. It is written as the memoirs of a complete rogue and scoundrel and in this case Flashman is stuck right in the middle of the First Afghan War and the retreat from Kabul, one of the worst military defeats in history. It's an odd way of writing, since Flashman is not just a coward and a scoundrel but he's a coward and a scoundrel who KNOWS it. The narrative is very engaging, although I wouldn't recommend it for today's college students... they could have PTSD from the politically-incorrect language used.

1 comment:

  1. I have only just found your blog and find it most engaging as my main interest is post WW2 aviation, so I was pleased and surprised to find Flashman here. There are some great books in the series and some not so good ones such as the one where he is in Russia (I forget the title), but they are always a fun distraction from modern life. My copies must be 30 years old and rather dog eared though it looks like they have kept with the spirit of the original covers if that is how they are presented these days. Thanks again for the pleasant surprise.

    ReplyDelete